Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Monday 14 April 2014

Walking in a Win(ches)ter Wonderland

Fact: Winchester is probably the most quintessentially English place in England.


I've been lucky enough to have visited lots of pretty places: I grew up near Stratford-Upon-Avon (home of Shakespeare) and Warwick (home to Warwick castle). I went to university in Cambridge (full of stunning colleges) and I've made it my mission to visit lots of other pretty places. When I visited Bath last October I thought I'd found the most beautiful part of England.

It turns out that I was wrong, not that it's a competition of course, but Winchester may usurp Bath in that not only is it breathtakingly beautiful, but crucially, it lacks Bath's horrendous traffic problem.

Few cars frequent the centre of Winchester. It's an English idyll of winding streets, Narnia lanterns and more old buildings than you can shake a stick at. Add on a cathedral, Winchester college, Wolvesey Castle and King Arthur's round table, and you having a winning combination. 

In short, if history is for you, then Winchester's the place to go. Now, I'm no history nut, I'm more someone who just likes wandering around, taking in the air, but I absolutely fell in love with the place. 

Let me take you on a virtual walking tour of Winchester.










Walking around Winchester made me feel like I'd stepped back 60 years to a more simple time where technology and cars didn't rule the world.







Wolvesey castle (free entry) 









The Great Hall with King Arthur's round table







Just imagine Winchester in the snow, how lovely would that be? 

No comments:

Post a Comment