Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday 28 May 2013

Food: choosing a stand mixer - KitchenAid or kMix?

my new acquisition/baby 
Eeeks. I'm very excited  After much research I've just purchased a stand mixer in the form of a Kenwood kMix. It took me ages to decide which to go for - the kMix or KitchenAid. In truth, I've been dreaming about owning a KitchenAid my entire life (that, and a Dualit toaster). However, in the past year, I've seen a little sense and realised that it's important not to buy things just because they're beautiful and as such inevitably overpriced. It's important to do proper research on the topic and not to buy things just because of a name or certain look. However, one thing I do know, is that all my friends who own a KitchenAid are absolutely in love. I've never heard a bad word said about them, but what comes with that, is a hefty price tag - £469.95 on Amazon.

I read a lot of reviews on both the KitchenAid and kMix. The problem with reading reviews is that people obviously tend to own either the KitchenAid or the kMix, never both. They may have used the opposing machine at some point, but very rarely have they used both machines for an extended amount of time. It's therefore difficult making a comparison. People are understandably very biased towards the machine they own -  spending over £300 for a mixer is not something many people will do lightly and obviously they want to feel like they made the right decision.

In the end, I found that the fundamental difference between the machines was the size, power and cost. The kMix mixing bowl holds 4L while the KitchenAid holds 3.8L. Not a large difference, but still, it's there. In terms of power, the KitchenAid has a 300W motor, while the kMix has a 500W motor - a significant difference. Finally the cost, Amazon supplies KitchenAid's at £469.95, while the kMix is priced at £299.99. In my opinion, some people are reassured by a high price. I think KitchenAid gets away with charging such a lot because people will immediately assume that a KitchenAid is better, because it is more expensive. I knew for a fact that I didn't want to fall into that trap as it is something which I have definitely done in the past - think hair straighteners  MP3 player, toasters etc. In terms of reviews, both received almost 100% 5 stars. Customers were in agreement that both machines worked brilliantly and revolutionised cake, bread and meringue making. There were a few comments about the kMix being very noisy and the KitchenAid being less sturdily built is more recent years due to a change in supplier.

Personally, I decided on the kMix - for two reasons - firstly, the larger wattage and volume of mixing bowl, and, secondly, it's hard to justify spending an extra £180 on a machine just for appearance sake. Yes, I would have adored having a brightly coloured Artisanal KitchenAid sitting on my worktop, but I'm not in the position to spend that much more money for aesthetic reasons. It must be pointed out, as well, that I am by no means disappointed with the appearance of my kMix. To me, it's beautiful too -  a lovely almond cream colour which certainly improves the look of my kitchen.

I can't give a full review of the kMix as I've only just purchased it, but I will say that I'm loving it so far. I made Martin some cupcakes for his birthday and never has it been so quick and easy. I love it for making icing especially. The large beating attachment means I get extra fluffy icing and the guard is amazing. No more fine layers of icing coating my entire kitchen, from the kettle to the toaster. I hate that so much.

PS I bought my kMix from John Lewis for £299, because it had a free 5 year guarantee. Bonus!

Martin's birthday cupcakes
attachments - there's also whisk - not sure why I forgot to put it in this photo. Also, does anyone know what the middle attachment is for?
Which do you own - a KitchenAid, kMix or other stand mixer? How is it and how did you make your decision?

28 comments:

  1. Sure that you have worked out but middle attachment largely removes te need to stop and scrape the sides!

    Enjoy

    Cathy, London

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure that you have worked out but middle attachment largely removes te need to stop and scrape the sides!

    Enjoy

    Cathy, London

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing. Thanks for your reply. I hadn't worked that out at all! Will definitely be trying it out next time I use the kMix!

      Delete
  3. Hi Hazel, I am using a Kenwood KMC560 at moment, had a few years now. It is a great mixer but the noise level makes you think you should be hearing air-raid sirens also. A week ago I bought the Kitchenaid Artisan from House of Fraser. Looks very retro and solid machine. My first mix was bread dough, using just 400gm flour. Well, the head was banging all over place when dough hit a certain point in bowl. I had to stop it as was quite disconcerting.

    I was all over youtube and Google seeing if I had the only machine that did this. Oh no I wasn`t. There are loads out there. I fully followed instructions to set up head, these are in fact in user manual also. Before I set it away I felt for any head play, non at all, lovely and tight. It hadn`t been running 20 seconds when head made a bang and once again was very loose. Yes, I did make sure head was locked properly. I repeated several times with same end result.

    Also I was amazed it had no slow start, straight off it kicked into a high - ish speed with motor stalling a small amount, remember this is with 400 gm of flour. No option but to send it back. Looks good but doesn`t work too well. As my old gran used to say--all fur coat and no knickers-- IMHO stick with Kenwood. I have since purchased Kmix off Amazon who at present are giving a free Kmix toaster and kettle, yup, free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Don, thanks so much for your comment. I was very interested to read your thoughts on the Kitchenaid vs. kMix. It's surprisingly that the Kitchenaid starts off at a high speed straight away - surely a massive design flaw. Wish I'd known about the Amazon offer though - a free toaster and kettle sound amazing!

      Delete
  4. Hi Hazel,

    I've recently purchased a Kenwood Kmix kmx54. I've only had it for a few days and haven't tried it yet. But I have a question: I've noticed that one side of my Kmix is a little lower than the other side of the mixer. I've put a spirit level (don't know if that is the correct word for it; I'm Dutch) on it to see if I was right and I was: The side where the attachments go is a little lower than the other side. I was wondering if this is how it's supposed to be? Is yours like this to? One side a little lower than the other side?

    Thanks for your reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I just checked mine and I think it is completely level. Is yours brand new? I'm afraid I'm no expert in kMixes, I just happily make cake batter and icing. I think you're better off consulting Kenwood. Have you tried their customer service? Here's a link to the Dutch Kenwood kMix FAQs: http://www.kenwoodworld.com/nl-NL/Klantenservice/FAQ/faqs-kmix-keukenmachines/

      Good luck and let me know how you get on.

      Delete
    2. Hi,

      Yes, mine is brand new and when I unboxed it and put it on my countertop I noticed that it was a little lower on one side (about half a centimeter). I was just wondering if that was normal with these Kenwood mixers. But if yours is completely level than it's probably not how it should be. I think I will contact Kenwood or return the mixer to the shop I bought it at and exchange it.

      By the way: Have you already tried the middle attachment which scrapes down the sides? I ordered it from the internet (since it doesn't come with the Kenwood if you buy it here in the Netherlands; Kenwood says that not every country includes that flexibeater in the box). I ordered it because I thought it would be a handy attachment. Do you find it useful?

      Thanks again for your reply.

      Delete
    3. Hi, I think it's probably best if you return it. You want it to be absolutely perfect, with no flaws, after all. I haven't used the scraper attachment actually. I usually just use the metal kMix attachment and use a spatula to scrape down the bowl. That's just my personal choice though, I'm sure you'll find it very useful.

      Delete
  5. Hi,

    I have returned the Kmix. You're right. I want it to be with no flaws. It's an expensive standmixer (although a kitchenaid is even more expensive) and if I spend that kind of money on a mixer then I want a Kmix which is perfect, so without flaws.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for this! I'm also looking into which one is better for us. I'm leaning more towards the Kmix. The price of the kitchenaid is just plain unjustifiable. I watched a video somewhere and they said the scraper attachment was used mainly for creaming, as in creaming together butter and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I don't want to influence you too much, but I have to say that, so far, the kMix has been flawless. Let me know which you go for! Are you keen on any particular colour?

      Delete
  7. Video for the creaming tool, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM0bCBWqHY4&feature=share&list=PLEFoloi04mJ_V3lyHkq9wq620XHDVeN7E&index=3

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here is the creaming tool video :D

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM0bCBWqHY4&feature=share&list=PLEFoloi04mJ_V3lyHkq9wq620XHDVeN7E&index=3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, thanks. Just viewed the video - very helpful indeed

      Delete
  9. I was wondering where you got the cupcake tin from to make Martin's birthday cupcakes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's from Ikea - £7. Here's the link. Happy baking! http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00133038/

      Delete
    2. I am sticking with my kenwood chef it had three power outlets and can do more. Not so pretty I admit.
      Has anyone been tempted by these cheaper stand mixers appearing on certain group buying websites?

      Delete
  10. Hi, thanks very much for the info, went and got one of the tins today !!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Kitchenaid because it is so versatile stand mixer and love the nice classy design Home Kitchen Stand Mixer Reviews Exclusive Versatile Stand Mixer

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,
    How amazing we have the same thoughts...always wanted a KA,but today saw a K-Mix at 399,99€ (special price) and the KA 629,00€ so came googling some ideas...
    And I think I will buy the K mix...by the way with all the colours....I 'd end up going crazy trying to decide anyway
    Will get back to you in the future,
    Thanks 4 your advice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for your comment! I'm so with you with all those thoughts! It's so tricky when you've always had your heart set on a kitchenaid. It really is a head vs heart thing. I can safely say I'm pleased with my kMix though - it gets a huge amount of use and is still going strong (as I would expect it to). Let me know how you get on

      Delete
  13. I've used both the KMix and the Kitchen Aid for a reasonable period of time. I had a 2 year old KMix in the UK which I gave away when I moved to the US where I have owned a Kitchen Aid for the last 2 years. I'm moving back to the UK soon and will leave the Kitchen Aid here and replace with a KMix which in my opinion is the better machine. It's not as pretty, granted, but it is more powerful. I also don't like the way the Kitchen Aid leaves a lot of unmixed ingredients on the side or up the side of the bowl. I've dreamt of owning a Kitchen Aid for years too so I'm pleased to have finally realised the ambition but have to say I never got the same joy seeing it on the kitchen side as I did in the catalogue!

    ReplyDelete
  14. P.S. They're $200 to $300 here in stores - I think some of the price difference must be to do with changing the power requirements for the UK. Personally, that price hike's enough to stop me buying Kitchen Aid again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. After 25 years or so of devoted services, my Sunbeam Mixmaster gave out.
    After I replaced it with an alternative the same product, I quickly learned that they won't produce things like they used to!
    Well, I purchased a KA, like everyone else.

    It's been not too long ago now and I still hate that Kitchen Aid!

    I really don't love that you can't add ingredients quickly as you
    are mixing up without placing the collar and chute to
    the bowl, you should not scrape the bowl while the beater is running, it
    is very sloppy (something constantly seems to fly out the bowl, it doesn't matter how
    careful I am), I can't seem to obtain it set proper in order for the ingredients in the bottom of the bowl obtain integrated into the mixture, and it's just too big
    and heavy!

    Also visit my web site antique hamilton beach mixer

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just after 25 years of faithful service, my Sunbeam Mixmaster gave
    out. While I replaced it with an alternative the same manufacturer,
    When I discovered that they cannot produce things just like they used to!
    Therefore I got a new kitchenaid, just like everyone else.
    It's been a short while ago now and I also still dislike that Kitchen Aid!
    I do not love that you cannot put ingredients easily while mixing
    with out putting the collar and chute on the bowl, you can not scrape the bowl while the
    beater is working, it is quite messy (some thing usually
    manages to fly out the bowl, regardless how careful I am), I can't
    seem to have it set right so that the ingredients in the bottom of the bowl get integrated
    into the mixture, and it's too big and heavy!

    my web-site hand held electric mixers

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have you ever kneaded dough in it yet? How did that turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,can kmix create instant ravioli just like kitchenaid artisan do?

    ReplyDelete