Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday 4 June 2013

Food: Ottolenghi meringue recipe

praline topped Ottolenghi giant meringues
So today has not been a healthy day. I can't stop making meringues ever since I bought my stand mixer which I discussed here first. Today's attempt, was an Ottolenghi recipe which, if followed accurately, should create huge show stopping, fluffy cloud meringues. I chose to follow the rose water and pistachio recipe, but being typically me I didn't have any pistachios so I topped them with some praline I'd made instead:


praline
I stored the praline in this cute air tight jar I bought from Butler's for £1.49
I heated 200g of caster sugar in a large frying pan gently until it started dissolving. The trick when making caramel is not to stir the pan - just leave it to get on with it. When some of the sugar starts turning a light brown, gently swirl the pan until all the sugar is dissolved and a uniform colour. Your caramel is ready when it's a medium brown colour. I stirred in 100g of flaked almonds to make the praline and then poured the mixture onto grease proof paper in a thin layer. Be careful - sugar gets really hot. After allowing it to cool, I bashed it up and used the pieces to top my meringue.

A note on the recipe below - it's amazing!! Seriously, please try it. I've tried loads and loads of recipes on the hunt for beautiful toffee centred meringues and none have come close to this. It has revolutionised everything - I think it's even better than the Italian meringue I was eulogising about here.
It's easier to do than Italian meringue too although unfortunately you'll still need a large stand mixer.

To make the meringue:

preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius

Makes 6 really large meringues:
300g caster sugar
5 large egg whites
optional: 2 tbsp crushed pistachios and 1 tsp rose water

1. Place the caster sugar into a thin layer onto a large baking tray lined with greaseproof paper (make sure you've first creased the baking powder lengthways). I didn't do this hence the pictures, but I wish I had!


2. Place the tray in the oven for 8 minutes until the sugar starts to dissolve slightly at the edges.

your sugar is ready when it starts to dissolve around the edges of the tray
3. In the meantime, add the egg whites to the perfectly clean bowl of the stand mixer. Using either the paddle or whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites on a medium speed until foamy.
4. Reduce the temperature of the oven to 110 degrees celsius.
5. Use the crease on the greaseproof paper to help 'shoot' the sugar into the egg whites. This stops you spilling the sugar everywhere. Continue to beat continuously for 10 minutes until the meringue is cold and incredibly silky and cloud like:
Oh so fluffy uncooked meringue
6. Add 1 tsp of rose water and beat for a further couple of minutes.
7. Add large spoonfuls of the mix to a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Use a few dabs of meringue to help affix the paper to the tray to stop your meringues from sliding off.


8. Sprinkle the meringues with either crushed praline or pistachios.


9. Bake for 2 hours by which time the meringue will be set on the outside and beautifully chewy in the centre.



4 comments:

  1. Mmmmm! This looks amazing! I definitely want to try making this. I love meringues and I REALLY love pralines, more than pistachios!

    I followed you via Bloglovin' and now I'm going to go and look through all your previous posts!

    xo Emily | Honey Loaf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, so glad you liked this post! I've tried so many different meringue recipes and this is definitely my favourite. I can't stop eating the praline straight out of the jar even though I know I shouldn't!

      Delete
  2. This is a topic that's close to my heart... Best wishes! Exactly where are your contact details though?

    Here is my web site :: http://www.dailystrength.org/people/1544593/journal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the post! My contact details are in the 'terms' page, but here's my email address: fresherfood1@gmail.com

      Delete