Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Monday 9 December 2013

Christmas Cake 2013



After last year's christmas cake success, we were keen to match it this year.

For the cake itself we used the both fool proof and delicious BBC Good Food simmer and stir cake which we made made back in October to allow it time to mature. I can't recommend this cake enough - it's just so easy and quick to do.

We were so pleased with the look of the 2012 cake but we didn't want to get stuck in a rut, making the same cake year in year out, so we used this recipe as inspiration for the decoration. A couple of years ago we didn't follow any design and ended up with what resembled a penguin grave yard.

2012 effort:



2013 Christmas cake 


How do you like to decorate your Christmas cake or do you prefer to buy one?

3 comments:

  1. Hehe the cakes look awesome Hazel, though I think you have outdone yourselves this year! Or maybe I'm just a sucker for penguins (and the idea of a penguin graveyard is somewhat hilarious!). Are the figures made of icing or marzipan? I personally am more of a mince pie girl than a christmas cake fiend… Love the Christmas tree from the post before too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to find a photo of that terrible penguin graveyard cake, but no luck so far! I don't really like mince pies or Christmas pudding and I only started eating Christmas cake in the last few years when I finally realised that fruit cake was completely delicious rather than absolutely horrible.

      Delete
    2. In that case I'm going to get on it and try to make one! Will have to wait a while to gain confidence to tackle decorations (or I can just make my own penguin graveyard ;) )

      Delete