Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Friday 2 August 2013

Life: remaining Cornwall adventures

We had such a wonderful time in Cornwall. Although we spent a couple of days on the beach, we also explored the area on foot as both Martin and I love walking.


We went on a 10 mile coastal walk to Land's End. It was a real shame that we had decided beforehand to eat there as Land's End really is just a tourist trap and isn't as beautiful as we hoped it would be.

However, en-route the scenery was gorgeous - lovely bubbling streams feeding into the sea with big rocky cliffs complete with caves.





On another day we visited the Polgoon Vineyard. We were taken on a tour of the vineyards and this was followed by an all important wine and cider tasting. We both particularly enjoyed their cider so we bought a whole crate of it!





We also visited St Michael's Mount which is so picturesque. St Michael's Mount is a castle built on an island which is very close to the coastal village of Marazion. There's a path linking the island to Marazion which is only accessible at low tide. We timed it so that the tide was in the middle of going out so we had to wade through a few inches of water to access the island which was great fun.





We sat and ate our lunch in the gardens and I had an impromptu little nap. We vowed to return every time we visit Cornwall in the future.




We also hired a couple of bikes and cycled to Mousehole pronounced Mouzzle. Mousehole is a little fishing village complete with tiny narrow streets and fishermen's cottages.


There's also a lovely natural pool in the rocks where the water gets changed on a daily basis as the tide goes in and out.




A visit to Cornwall wouldn't be complete without a yummy Cornish pastie (or several, actually).



I love being in places like Cornwall as everyone's so lovely and trusting. There are honesty boxes everywhere with local produce like home made jams and flowers. We bought a lovely jar of plum jam.



We had such a wonderfully relaxing week - a lovely change from manic London.

Where do you like to go to get away from it all? 


10 comments:

  1. Cornwall looks so pretty. I'm somehow surprised by the fact that it's in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean. When the weather's so grey and miserable so much of the time, it's hard to believe that places like this exist!

      Delete
  2. Cornwall looks wonderful, definitely a place I want to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh this is lovely - it sounds like you had a brilliant time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really did, thank you :) I love Cornwall so much - I just wish it didn't take so long to drive there.

      Delete
  4. I really need to visit (I also love the look of the somewhat secluded beach from your other post)! The coastal walks sound great and I would love to do a little walking trip for a few days at some point. You're right though, such a long journey! But worth it for an authentic cornish pastie ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't recommend Cornwall enough and if you don't want to travel as far, Dorset and Devon make great alternatives. I'm a firm beleiever of visiting places in the UK as much as I can. Next week, we're off on a walking holiday to the lakes. It's another 6 hour drive but it'll be bearable with lots of breaks and sharing the driving.

      Delete
    2. Ooh sounds so great, I love walking holidays, and you're right, there are so many lovely places in the UK to visit, no need to holiday anywhere else most of the time! We went walking twice this year along the South Downs Way which was also beautiful and very quick train rides to and from London, and such cute and cosy B&Bs (or campsites if you are that way inclined...)

      Delete
    3. I'm always wishing there were places closer to London to go walking! Where exactly do you recommend? I love camping, but our flat is so tiny that we really don't have space to accommodate camping equipment. My stuff's stored at my grandma's house in Warwickshire and next week we're camping and stopping en-route at Martin's parents' house as they've kindly agreed to lend us their stuff. Argh - why is London so expensive? Our flat seems so small sometimes! x

      Delete
    4. oh no! I've just realised that I mistyped believer in my earlier reply to you - this upsets me far too much.

      Delete