Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Thursday 4 July 2013

Food: cheat's jerk chicken

With the weather set to be stunning over the next few days, I'm sure they'll be more than a few BBQs on the offing.

Unfortunately, we won't be joining them as our tiny flat in London doesn't even have a stamp sized patch of greenery to call our own! sob sob.

However, I was keen to share this recipe. Rather than just adding normal sausages and burgers to the BBQ, why not try some marinading chicken legs? I shared my recipe for real jerk chicken here, but I thought I'd let you know how I got on with a Sainsbury's* pre-made version if you're short for time/want to cheat!


The bottled marinade was really quick and easy to use. You simply pour the marinade over the 10 chicken legs. It's supposed to be used on 8 but I'm stingy and like to make things go further so I used 10 (which were covered very generously by the way).


Leave to marinade for at least 40 minutes.


Then place on a hot BBQ or in an oven at 180 degrees celsius for 45 minutes. Make sure the meat is cooked through, especially when using a BBQ!


The end result? I was pretty impressed with the Sainsbury's marinade. It was authentic in that is used Scotch Bonnet chillies and as such was pretty spicy. Personally, I'd have preferred it even more spicy. The chicken legs were lovely and moist and full of jerk flavour.

What are your favourite BBQ staples? Do you have a favourite chicken marinade?

2 comments:

  1. It's really weather like this which makes me wish we had a garden/balcony/anything to stick a BBQ on, I really love it :) The chicken legs look great (your homemade ones look particularly fab!), I have a sainsburys close by so will have to check it out. We had a BBQ a few weeks back with some friends (who have a massive balcony, bliss!) and I really loved their Chinese 5 spice ribs. Am also a fan of good BBQ 'sides' i.e. a fresh salad and lashings of potato salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, Chinese 5 spice ribs sound amazing! I'll have to hunt out a recipe. I'm a real fan of sides too although unfortunately, I'm not keen on mayo, so most potato salads are out of the question for me. Hope you have a lovely weekend enjoying the beautiful weather :)

      Delete