Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Wednesday 2 October 2013

Sunday lunch


As I mentioned in my last post, on Sunday M and I went to my friend Carmela's for lunch. I met Carmela while I was working on a TV shoot just over a year ago and since then we've made a real effort to keep in touch. She was keen for us to visit her in Hackney, an area of London I don't know well at all.

Last Sunday we drove there as we thought it would save time. City Mapper (best London transport app ever by the way) seemed to think it would take an hour and 10 minutes to get there. Unfortunately for us the traffic was terrible, so we didn't save any time whatsoever!

Carmela has the nicest flat mates ever. We thought we were just popping over for lunch, but how wrong we were. There was a veritable feast awaiting us! Carmela is half Italian and one her flatmates, Nacho, is Spanish so there was an amazing mix of food on offer.


We started with antipasti - a huge selection of cold meat, salmon, salad and my personal favourite; goats cheese, fig and quince jelly on crackers.



This was followed by baked scallops and then Carmela whipped up tomato pasta with pork ribs.



Just when I felt I couldn't move an inch, fruit and yoghurt were brought out.

A note on the alcohol - unbelievable. Boring I know, but I've never had a properly random drunken Sunday afternoon. After the heady mixture of red wine, white wine, Aperol, various pale ales, homemade mead(!) and the best dessert wine I've ever had, I can safely say I was well and truly tiddly by the time we left 5 hours later.



Dinner was completed with fresh Italian coffee and Toblerone Nacho had brought back from Switzerland (coffee and chocolate are two things that really make a dinner party amazing in my opinion).


It was such a great day spent with the most wonderfully generous people.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh looks like a Sunday well spent :) We went to a BBQ this weekend and it was just so lovely to be with friendly company and have delicious food and wine to accompany! My friend's boyfriend is Spanish and he holds the best tapas parties... those guys know how to host!

    ReplyDelete